Music Banter - View Single Post - Gothic Americana/ Alt-Country/ Dark Cabaret
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 03:06 AM   #346 (permalink)
oldcrowprophet
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
...Point being, I think the alt-country thing has been going on for a while in other places before some of the bands in Denver who are currently dominating the scene started making music, and I'm curious to know how you think the Denver sound differs from those other bands. In some cases, the Denver bands might sound a bit more "old timey" and authentic, but not by much.
In my opinion, and quite a few others I believe, the "Denver Sound" differs because it's much darker in sound and yes, it tends to have a bit more "old timey" feel to it, especially due to the instruments used.

Alt. Country, I agree, has been around since Gram Parsons, who is considered the pioneer by most critics.

If you take 16 HP, WH, SCAC and Munly and put them next to any other alt. country artist or band, they stand out quite a bit. It always seemed to be like Southern Gothic writings of O'Connor, Faukner, Crews, McCarthy and others put to music. The bands mentioned plus Devotchka, Taratella and The Kalamath Brothers all have members that spent time within the ranks of one band, The Denver Gentlemen. I think because so many of these artists spent time in TDG then started another band, all these bands popped up at the same time with similar sounds or styles or instruments or whatever. All these bands helped put Denver on the musical map, thus the "Denver Sound" came about because before these bands, what music came out of Denver or Colorado in such mass quanity and quality?

I also believe that most, not all, alt. country derives directly from "Outlaw Country" of the 60's and 70's with punk rock influences added in. Most artists within this genre will tell you that's what they listened to as kids.

But, where alt. country artists will tell you during their teenage years they listened to a lot of punk or rock, these Dark Roots/Gothic Americana artists will mention a few goth bands, post punk bands and possibly some no wave.

Of course, none of this is completely accurate. You can't pinpoint a genre to it's specifics and excpect everyone to fall under the descriptions.

I'm really just making this up as I go.
oldcrowprophet is offline   Reply With Quote