Music Banter - View Single Post - The Most Beautiful Female Musician
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #601 (permalink)
Zaqarbal
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
What I find sizeist about Zaq's post is his overt assumption that Beth is less socially acceptable than other women who more readily fit into the media sponsored standard image of "beauty." I don't expect Zaq to find her attractive, but I do hope that he'd at least expand his scope of reference enough to understand that some people do find fat people attractive and that's ok. Just because you don't find a fat person attractive or you dislike their personality is no reason to engage in sizeism or make sure everyone knows you think they're an uggo.
Wait! There's been too much confusion and misunderstandings in some posts before, but I want to clarify that point. Let's distinguish between acceptable and accepted, OK? And let's distinguish between describing a common social view and expressing a moral opinion about that view, OK? They are different things. I know that some people do find fat people attractive, but that's not a popular ideal. I'm just describing a fact, whether we like it or not. I'm not making a "moral judgement", OK? And if you look at this post, you'll see that the two last points are very clear on this matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
(...)

And there are many ways of understanding beauty, like:

• Physical beauty
  • The beauty of a voice
  • The beauty of a personality
  • The beauty of an emotion
  • The beauty of an artistic creation
  • The beauty of an artist's performance
  • Beauty according to oneself
  • Beauty according to others