Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #4953 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Really? That's quite surprising. I love the original too though. Why do you hate it so?
Tim's voice, while utterly AMAZING (I consider him to be one of the greatest vocalists of the 20th century), is not for the faint of heart, hence why Fraser's fade-in-to-the-background voice should never touch a song that is meant to emotionally destroy you. In "Song to the Siren", he stands alone on top of that lonely, detached guitar line, singing passionately. He sounds like he's right there, feeling emotions, excreting them... This Mortal Coil's version sounds as if the vocalist is lazily humming above the background, barely working its way above the instrumentation. Not to mention, the voice is completely wrong for the song, and she sings it with a sterile, emotionless tone. It irritates me to no end, that Tim's strong, passionate delivery could be slandered by such a thing.

I really like what i've heard of Cocteau Twins, so it's not so much that I hate Liz's voice... And I'm sure This Mortal Coil in general have done good things. But ****. Wait to take a great song and just **** all over it and ruin everything unique/intriguing about it.

My obvious Tim Buckley bias is a big part, but I just generally don't think that you can DO that to a song and get away with it.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote