Music Banter - View Single Post - The Most Beautiful Female Musician
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #607 (permalink)
Sansa Stark
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
You're throwing around a lot of assumptions here. You know nothing about me, yet assume because I advocate for size acceptance that I'm a "militant feminist" and don't shave my pits. I'm actually a third-wave feminist, about which it seems you could use some education, and generally prefer to shave. I certainly place no judgment on anyone who chooses not to, though.

Another assumption you engage in here is that I expect everyone to find Beth Ditto attractive. I really don't care if you find her attractive or not. Attraction is subjective and if you don't see it in someone, that's your prerogative. What I *do* find sizeist are your assumptions about Beth's health. You know nothing about her or about her medical records, yet you assume she's unhealthy simply based on her size. That is sizeism. Rather than allowing Beth to maintain her autonomy and speak for herself about her health, should she choose to, you take away that autonomy when making an assumption that's based on your own fears and issues with fat.

What I find sizeist about Zaq's post is his overt assumption that Beth is less socially acceptable than other women who more readily fit into the media sponsored standard image of "beauty." I don't expect Zaq to find her attractive, but I do hope that he'd at least expand his scope of reference enough to understand that some people do find fat people attractive and that's ok. Just because you don't find a fat person attractive or you dislike their personality is no reason to engage in sizeism or make sure everyone knows you think they're an uggo.

I would actually prefer not to think of anyone on this board as sizeist because sizeism is something I've worked long and hard to educate people about and to hopefully, slowly, eradicate. It's not something I like or expect to see in others.
Oh don't give me that bull****, I'm a ****ing card carrying feminist and get off your high horse on educating anyone. You are not going to educate anyone on fat acceptance and on the pits shaving thing, I really do not give a damn what you do with your body hair, I was merely being flippant.

I don't care if she loses her autonomy or whatever bull**** you are parroting, anyone could look at her and see all that lard is not healthy! She doesn't appear to have any muscle tone or anything. It's all blubber. I'm sorry if you think that's based on "my own issues and fears of being fat". I once was overweight, so I know how it is.

It's funny though, you call me out on "making assumptions" and turn around and do the exact same thing.
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote