Music Banter - View Single Post - Badlittlekitten's top 50 indie/alternative tracks of this century so far.
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Badlittlekitten
And then there was music

Peter, Bjorn and John (and Victoria) - Young Folks
Writers Block

The most iconic bit of whistling of the century? A master class in Swedish pop, and we'll see more of guest vocalist Victoria Bergsman later on. Writers Block seemed like a great LP at the time, but for me it hasn’t held up with exception to this song. As soon as them drums kick in I'm thumped back into the summer of 2007, strolling hand in hand with an ex lover through Oxford street, sunshine glaring down on us, this track booming from all the shops, whistling, giggling and lost in our world and our love. “All we care about is talking, talking only me and you” is a simple and beautiful line, especially when sung in duet, and it’s the heart of this song. The chorus of the track soars, with its Technicolor harmonies, thrashings of echoed guitar and its flourishing bongos. But I have to come back to that whistling; the notes are breezy, somehow full of hope and dizzy romance, yet they linger by in a strangely mournful and melancholic way. It hits me in the gut every time. Maybe I just need to get over it.

https://soundcloud.com/bad-little-kittens
My Top 100 LPs
My Top 52 Indie Tracks Of The 21st Century (incomplete)
Badlittlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote