Music Banter - View Single Post - Should I purge my collection?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
noise
thirsty ears

Default Should I purge my collection?

I think I have too much music.

My collection isn't as big as some, but it's sizable. I have 2021 albums, singles and eps that have been tagged and put into foobar, along with a few gigs still sitting my download folder.

The problem is I haven't listened to half of it. No, more than that, I haven't listened to most of it.

An example: I have the complete studio and live discography of the Grateful Dead, along with the complete ****'s Picks. I haven't touched it since I downloaded it. I like the Grateful Dead, I just haven't gotten around to listening to it.

I feel alienated from my collection. I listen to 10% of it 90% of the time. But I have a music-grabbing compulsion, and always feel there's something better out there that I have not yet heard, so I just keep getting more and more.

Just now, I put my library on random, and pushed play. A track came up from a group called Ancient Astronauts. I don't remember the name, I don't remember downloading it, but I have their entire discography. It was some really good instrumental hip hop that I could groove to. I played a bit more, and liked what I heard. But ten minutes ago, it might as well not have even existed, because I had no idea it was even there.

What to do? Should I force myself to stop download and listen to the lot? Should I trim it down to the stuff I know I like, and just assume there's nothing else out there?

Drive space is not an issue, so keeping it is totally OK. But I just don't think I'll ever get a solid grasp on what I have...

If you read this whole thing, bravo. Hope you can offer some insight