Music Banter - View Single Post - Should I purge my collection?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
right-track
Atchin' Akai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post

The second thing...I can understand learning that to an extent, but don't you think its a little arrogant to assume you know everything thats ever gonna grow on you? I mean, that would imply you already know everything you'll ever like...
I think I do know everything I'm ever going to like.
This isn't arrogance. More confidence with the type of music I enjoy based on my personal preferences and taste in music.
I don't think I'm missing out on anything that doesn't appeal to me exclusively.
Listening to music is a very personal thing, as I think you'll agree.
What I like may not appeal to a different ear and visa versa.
This doesn't mean I'm limited to certain types of music, although it is true in some instances.

After years of enjoying music I can confidently say that 20 seconds is more than enough for me to make an accurate decision on whether or not I will like that particular tune, irrespective of it's genre.
There are several prerequisites I use to determine if I'll like a particular piece of music.
I happen to think that the vast majority of music has all been done before, one way or another.
And with that in mind, for something to grab my attention it has to be original, or at best generic, but with a decent attempt by the artist/band of making a convincing effort at doing what has already been done before...their own.
There's no bigger turn off than hearing a new tune that I've heard somewhere before, with little to no attempt at being original. If you know what I mean?
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote