Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #2402 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
I've also heard that the gameplay has been tweaked a little bit to evoke a feeling of other survival horror games where you have to manage your resources a little more thoroughly, i.e. not kill every living (or unliving) thing you see. I will eventually get Red Dead Redemption and maybe even Undead Nightmare, but in the meantime I've been playing:

Resident Evil 5, Gears of War 2, and I just got Battlefield: Bad Company 2 from Gamefly in the mail today. So far first thoughts on the first two:

Resident Evil 5 feels weird playing it on an Xbox controller, for some reason I have been having some controller issues that has made the game a little bit more challenging, but I'm sure that will pass with enough time. It's pretty nice on a graphics level and not much has changed from Resident Evil 4's except for the god awful inventory system. I definitely miss the attache case from Resident Evil 4 but seeing as how every reviewer has brought up the inventory system in their critiques I won't beat a dead horse.

Gears of War 2 is pretty much what I expected, still heavily reliant on the cover based combat, even though at times it seems questionable, at least on a lower difficulty. I actually restarted the game and changed it to a harder difficulty so I could make the most out of the cover based combat gameplay. I do like the addition of being able to use downed locust members as shields, but I have yet to engage in a chainsaw duel, which was one of the gameplay mechanics highlighted in the previews. The general feel of GoW2 feels pretty unchanged but I suppose why fuck with something that proved to be very popular in the past, I mean just look at the God of War series for evidence of that. I have to say I really enjoyed the worm chapter and it's definitely a game I would go back to play for shits and giggles, definitely $15 well spent.

Now time to get some homework done so I can enjoy Battlefield Bad Company 2 this week while devoting equal amount of time for finals.
You're going to dig BC2.
Single best thing about that game (in both story mode and online) is the destructible structures. Pretty much everything is destructible, and that makes for some very creative (and realistic) tactics.
I love playing through the single player campaign, and can do it repeatedly, but it's a little too easy (regardless of difficulty settings). There are only 2 parts of the game where it's actually difficult. (You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there) The only thing single player lacks is that your enemies are static and run tracks. For a real challenge, you have to play online. It's the only way you're not walking into a situation you're not sure of besides the first single player campaign you do.
Same goes for any game like that, I suppose. Of course, you already know that. But I do think that if you're going to do any online play at all, BC2 lends a lot to teamwork and strategy and has a better payout for people who don't simply want to run around and kill people, /main objective.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote