Music Banter - View Single Post - Cranes
Thread: Cranes
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
thirtiesgirl
Music Addict

Their very early catalog is worth checking out, if it can be found. The Self Non-Self mini-album (the first thing they released into the world) is very stark and chilling (tracks like "Beach Mover" and "Nothing In the Middle, Nothing At the End" are airtight, frightening little pieces of music), and the Inescapable EP (the second thing they released into the world after signing to Dedicated Records) is very worth it, and contains another stark chiller, "Dada 331." The Tomorrow's Tears ep is worth finding, too, especially for the ghostly little EP-ender, "Dreamless." And if you're *really* up for looking for rare stuff, Alison Shaw from the Cranes collaborated with Rudy Tambala from A.R.Kane for the short-lived band In Rain. The only thing they released, to my knowledge, was a 2-track 45" on Rough Trade Records, a limited edition release as part of Rough Trade's mail order catalog offered through either Melody Maker or NME in the early '90s.

Personally, I think the Cranes have more in common with the Swans than Cocteau Twins, at least instrumentally speaking, and both Jim and Alison Shaw have often cited Swans as an early influence. I haven't gotten too much into Cranes more electronic stuff. I kind of lost interest after Population 4. Loved Wings of Joy, though, and think "Adrift" from the Forever album is a fantastic song. I've seen them live several times and will attest to their rib-shaking ability on stage. I interviewed Alison once via phone on my radio show in college and she was very sweet. We got back stage to meet her after the Cranes played one of their first US shows in LA. She was again very sweet to us, but very, very stoned. It was after the show and I guess the band needed a bit of a come-down.

Here's another favorite from their fourth album, Loved - "Lillies," live in Rome. They have a bit of a false start at the beginning, but once they get going... chills.