Music Banter - View Single Post - Born in the wrong generation
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #147 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
First of all, I was born in 1990 so yeah, I don't "remember" the 90s very well. Excuse me for still trying to join in on the conversation.
Easy homes. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at the difference in perspective. I'm sure my take on the late 70s and early 80s is different than someone who remembers it well. It's just funny to me how different it is to experience the music of a certain period firsthand versus looking at it in retrospect with all crappiest stuff filtered out.

Quote:
I don't know why we are talking about Top 40 radio. I don't give a **** about Top 40 radio, it almost always sucks. But mainstream *rock* radio was as great as it has ever been. A band like Primus went platinum *twice* for ****s sake. That is success, no matter how you try to twist it. Yeah, there was no internet, but MTV also didn't completely ignore the underground back then. Dinosaur Jr. and Sonic Youth had very successful videos on MTV, while they were also giving indie legends like Pavement and Superchunk a nugget from time-to-time too.
I think since you didn't really experience a lot of it firsthand you have some kind of mistaken impressions of the 90s. For one thing, for the first half of the 90s mainstream rock radio played stuff like Aerosmith, Tom Petty and Van Halen with a little Nirvana and Pearl Jam sprinkled in here and there as it got toward the middle of the decade. Around 1995 the mainstream rock stations largely changed format to be "alternative", but a lot of that was lame post-grunge stuff with more and more nu-metal as the 90s came to a close.

As far as MTV goes, I'm sure 120 Minutes (a staple of my early teens I must say) played Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr. videos at one o'clock in the morning, but I would hardly call that stuff "very successful".

And as for Primus, they went platinum once in the 90s, not twice, and it took the album four years to reach that point.

Quote:
You really have a misguided impression of what a "low point" is if you think those bands were the low point. Blood Sugar Sex Magik, KoRn, Dookie, Smash, and 311 are all very well respected albums that sold extremely well. I think its simply elitist to brush off such acts. Plus: Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, and RATM were all clearly in the mainstream and awesome bands.
It's elitist to have a different opinion from you? I'm sorry but the four albums you listed just don't do it for me. Each has a couple songs I like and a bunch of stuff I don't. Am I really required to love them? Do you love every single mainstream rock album that was released during your teens?

Quote:
And you just completely ignored that the 90s were one part of the Golden Era of Hip Hop and plenty of those artists were in the mainstream...
I didn't ignore that, in fact I said the hip hop was one of the better things about the decade. But a lot of the best stuff wasn't super-mainstream.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote