Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #8691 (permalink)
dankrsta

Inception

How to summarize the impression I got from this film? Too much plot, not enough immersion. And that's a damn shame in a film about dreams. Although I generally like Nolan films, I've always had a bit of a problem with his overstating things, like he has to explain everything just in case we didn't get it. Too much telling, not enough showing. I understand that need in big blockbuster movies like Inception or The Dark Knight, they have to appeal to a wide audience. But Nolan wants his blockbusters to be smart and deep, or better yet, to appear way smarter than they actually are. He somehow manages to juggle between these two qualities, entertainment and 'deeper' themes, in The Dark Knight and make an overall exciting film, at least. I'm sure such iconic characters like Batman and Joker and the everlasting fight between good and evil has something to do with it.

But when he places his complicated plot into the world of dreams, the gap between the mere blockbuster entertainment and the need to dig deeper becomes painfully apparent. Needless to say, the latter suffers greatly. I would've liked this film better if it were straight up action film, because what's the point in placing the story in dreams if you're not going to explore them in all their spontaneity and unpredictability. I understand that dreams in Inception are fabricated, but it says in the film itself that they come with a baggage, the subconsciousness. That's something that cannot be controlled and brings the sense of chaos, none of which can be felt in Inception. Everything is perfectly planned and constructed in Nolan dream world, he's the perfect architect, and when something 'unexpected' happens (usually involving Mal) it's so obvious and within the rules of the game Nolan sets up, that it becomes predictable very quickly. It actually hit me that Nolan dreams are more like video games.

So, this weight the film is supposed to carry and a complicated plot (and Nolan sure loves it) suffocate the fun element of an essentially action film and in the end this film is neither fun nor deep. This is the first Nolan film to disappoint me.