Music Banter - View Single Post - The Zombie Apocalypse Game!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
OK. Initial scenario...

Los Angeles, 2012 (lol).
You are at home, watching the boob tube. A news flash comes on, exclaiming that a strange virus is spreading and people are being infected. Reports are already surfacing that confirms the infected are spreading the virus via bites. The infected are increasing in number and authorities are warning everyone to stay indoors. Your home contains normal home stuff. Fearing for your safety, you round up all the weapons you can. You have: 1 baseball bat, a variety of kitchen knives and utensils, a car with half a tank of gas, and standard access in and out of your home. A scratching noise at the window alerts you and you view 2 undead lazily bumping their heads into the glass. You've seen zombie movies before, and you know it's only a matter of time before they either get in or attract other zombies. You need to act. You need to flee to a less populated area. Using the tools you have, what do you do? And if you escape, what do you take with you?
hokay.

Judging by the fact that the zombies are lazily bumping their heads into the window, it looks like we have the classic shambling horde scenario here, so not a lot of intelligence, and no particular speed advantages for the zombies. In which case, a moving car is gonna be a pretty solid barrier against them. So priority is getting to the car, and getting out into the country where there are less people => less potential zombies. This also means you'll need to either stock the car with supplies (risky), or stock up on the way out.

Judging by the fact that the virus is transferred by bites, that means that fluids are going to be infectious, which pretty much rules out the baseball bat as a weapon because of excessive splatter. You could try take out some knees and stop the zombies from moving, but a proper knee-smash really requires being in front of the zombie at close range.... yeah. Knives are equally useless if said zombies are "undead" since only decapitation will stop them then, which is a bloody and difficult procedure with just a knife. So in terms of weapons, kinda screwed.

The only tactic that remains is distraction. I Pack a backpack/largest bag I have available with as much food and water as I can, and some essential supplies (first aid kit if I have it, etc.), my laptop (if i don't have a laptop, I'll deal with it at the end) and then find a radio. Being a musicophile, there's bound to be something working around the house to that effect. Now, setting up the radio at the furthest part of the house from the car, I turn it to a talking station of some sort, loud enough that the zombies outside can hear it, but not so loud as to attract other attention. when the zombies move, clearing a path to the car, I move as silently as I can to the car, get in, and get the hell out of there.

Sticking to wide roads as much as possible (less chance of getting cut off by abandoned cars), I make a beeline out of the city. Half a tank should be enough to get far enough away before i have to make a pitstop to refuel. At the earliest opportunity (small, low population suburb with a petrol/gas station with a fair degree of visibility around it), I stop and full the tank to the top, leaving the door open and the keys in the ignition (but not the engine on, for obvious reasons) in case a quick getaway is needed. If no zombies show on the horizon in this time, I make a quick foray into the station, keeping an eye outside at all times, for more food, and possibly some things I'd missed from my house: batteries, a radio if there wasn't a spare at my house, some better weapons for some long range killage if possible, wireless interwebs if I'm really lucky.

having stocked up properly, I'd move out of town further, and find somewhere to camp it out. Preferably up high, isolated and difficult to get to, but not far removed from civilisation two story at least is a necessity. The plan would be to knock out the stairs and put in a ladder system instead to screw any zombie attempts to get up over, and to scavenge the house for other supplies: does it have interwebs, food stuffs, is there a way of refrigerating stuff upstairs or would that have to be remedied.. etc etc. if a number of places seem possible, things like upstairs refrigeration, internet and easy-to-destroy-without-too-much-noise stairs would be ideal. Next stage would be to find a bicycle for decently fast but silent travel for supplies. After that, it would be a case of gathering weapons, food and other supplies as often as possible without attracting attention, and attempting to keep in contact with any other survivors. Laptop and wireless internet is the ideal, in which case so long as service lasts the web can be checked for groups fighting it out and for coordinating with other survivors. Without that, the radio, and hopefully a walkie-talkie of some sort for more primitive communication. Given the shamblingness of the zombies from their description, that should be enough to "survive", with a large chance of being able to take part in ending the problem should such an ending be remotely possible.

EDIT: lol @ the fact that 2 people responded in the time it took me to write that. guess that's what happens when I'm awake at 2am considering a zombie apocalypse...

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote