Music Banter - View Single Post - Michael Jackson
Thread: Michael Jackson
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #1064 (permalink)
thirtiesgirl
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Surely, you won't make jokes about Leslie Nielsen.
Not in this lifetime, and don't call me Shirley.

While I definitely think of MJ as a complex, very screwed up individual (and I do think he did the nasty with at least one kid who slept over at the Ranch), that didn't stop me from repeat playing Off the Wall and Thriller on a near constant basis when I was in junior high. As much as I hate to admit it, I was around for the original releases and you couldn't get away from MJ love at that point in time. Nor would I have wanted to. Those two albums defined a period in my life (much the way Siouxie's Hyaena defined my high school experience, and Joy Division's Substance and Bauhaus' Singles, Volumes 1 & 2 defined my early college years) that I look back on with much fondness. Of course, at that age, I had no idea about MJ's peculiar predilections or the possibility that he was a pedophile. He made great pop music that I loved to dance to, and he was a moonwalking genius on stage. That's all that mattered to me. I still think he was a great pop musician and dancing genius, but one that I wouldn't worship these days as I did in junior high, knowing what I know about his personal life. A lot of great entertainers are very screwed up people, and he definitely falls into that category.