Music Banter - View Single Post - How often do your strings break and which string breaks most?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDTH View Post
for me strings only last 2 or 3 months, and the D string is always the first one to break. How about you guys?
like GB said, there's something wrong here, especially where a WOUND string is always the first one to break...

where does the break happen? is it always at the same spot?

typically strings break at 2 locations, either right at the saddle or near the tuning peg. they're usually due to the same thing as well, some kind of burr or jagged edge in the path of the string. i used to get that a lot with my high E saddle, the file from a nail clipper fixed that. just slide through the groove a few times until it feels smooth to your fingertip. if you feel any kind of harshness or edge then rub it some more. you might have to find a rounded metal file if it's due to a sharp edge in the tuning peg.

i've NEVER snapped a string from strumming too hard, though i've worn down many pics at the top of the fretboard from the same ferocity. the only time i've popped strings in the last decade was from pressing down on them between the nut and the tuning pegs to fake pulling up on a whammy bar (and that was probably more likely to the guitar being in a frozen car for an hour before doing something like that within 20 minutes of taking it out.)

i also don't replace my guitar strings nearly as often as i should (i don't remember who said it but the basic attitude is, the tone can only die so much), and i don't ever plan on replacing the strings on my bass unless they snap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote