Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 03:30 AM   #5040 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Or Primus
I resent the implication that Primus are a bad band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
That's not what I was saying, but if you insist

Or Disturbed
Or Drowning Pool
Or Incubus
Or Korn (weeell... well ok, but I still enjoy listening to some of their stuff :P)
Or Staind
Similarly with the above. I think I'd need a Somebody Else's Problem Field and a large bucket of pink paint were I ever to try and hide my "shameful music" section from MB members...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutnuckle View Post

Also, I haven't really talked much jazz here so I dunno how unpopular this will be:

Free Jazz/Improv. > Avant-Garde Jazz > Anything modal, bop, etc.

Essentially, no structure > structure for jazz.

In general that is. Of course exceptions exist, but for the most part.

I would find it hard to disagree more here, though I realise that this could stem from a difference in definition of "structure". If you mean Free Jazz as in anything that doesn't ascribe to the very specific Rigid structures of early Jazz, then I would say that I do enjoy listening to Free jazz, but, to quote Wikipedia:

Quote:
As guitarist Marc Ribot has remarked, free jazz musicians like Ornette Coleman and Albert Ayler, "although they were freeing up certain strictures of bebop, were in fact each developing new structures of composition.
To say "no structure" is to say that the musicians are basically all doing their own thing without thought for the other musicians. Playing in the same key is a structure, a weak one, but a structure nonetheless. Music without any structure at all just pisses me off, because you've left music at that point, and gone back to noise (by definition: noise is a collection of unrelated frequencies).

Louis Jordan, Fats Waller, Louis Armstrong, Ry Cooder... all these guys would be considered mostly "structured" Jazz, and their music is fantastic. "Free" jazz, as defined by jazz with no structure whatsoever, to me just sounds like 4, 5 guys on a stage soloing, which is not interesting. To me, music is all about harmonies, cadences, interactions between lines and notes in order to create a whole that is greater than the parts. Structured music may be standardised, it may get boring at times due to excessive use of a certain system, but it has a beauty to it that a group of soloists will only ever find by chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Boston's self-titled debut is the epitome of Rock N Roll.

Foreplay/Long Time
is up there in terms of my favourite songs. In fact, I'm gonna have to go listen to it now...

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote