Music Banter - View Single Post - The 2010 Nobel Peace Prize to Liu Xiaobo
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

I don't think it'll be the direct cause of a war, I just worry that it is not helping current international tension. Regardless, as I said I'm happy that it was given, I was just expressing how this could have unintended consequences. The road to Hell is paved with Good Intentions, after all. As for what reason they'd give... I think China have proved pretty effectively that they don't really care for reasons, and those that they give for anything currently surrounding this debacle haven't exactly been solid.

"We're giving a chinese person a Nobel Peace Prize!"
"WHAT?! Take that back, he's a prisoner and a criminal!"
"Oh really, why?"
"For standing up to us and attempting to assert a modicum of Rights for everyone in our country!"
"Well, that's kinda one of the things we give the Peace Prize for, you know? Helping humanity to move on from oppression and violence into an age of equality and universal Human Rights"
"If you do this, we'll get everyone to Boycott you!"

Yeah, I'm sure you understand. I'd love to be able to say "Who cares, it's for the greater good, if there's going to be a conflict it's best to get it out there in a peaceful way", but the problem is, all it takes is one trigger happy person with a nuke, and this wonderful blue planet is royally screwed. I'm not saying we lie down and let them run all over us, but this is dangerous territory, and it's something the world hasn't dealt with outside of the Cold War, and people were pretty paranoid during the Cold War. How many more nations have Nuclear Weapons now? It's a scary proposition, and as a race, I don't think we're mature enough not to retaliate, and I can see the end of the world as we know it starting from the tiniest, most benign decision all too easily.

/end dramatic exaggeration

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote