Music Banter - View Single Post - In the Court of King Crimson - The King Crimson Education/Review Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #68 (permalink)
WTDK
Groupie

Seltzer, I'm new here but a long time KC fan (since 1969) some insightful stuff--the only thing I'd disagree with is the use of the term "dinosaur" for KC--that implies the band became extinct because they couldn't adapt.

Otherwise, some thoughtful observations about their albums. KC is like The Pretenders in that the latter band is Chrissie Hynde and whomever is in it at the time--the same is true of KC; when all the other members left Fripp was, by default (for awhile with Sinfield), KC.

I don't know that I would call the 80's version all that innovative initially--Fripp had been hanging with Eno, Talking Heads and other bands in NYC at the time and absorbed much of their sound including taking on Adrian Belew as guitarist. While Belew had been around the block a time or two in a variety of bands, his vocal delivery was strongly influenced by David Bryne, John Lennon and David Bowie at the time (not just Bryne who was also strongly influenced in his own way by Bowie and others although Bryne's idiosyncratic delivery was a bit...unique at the time although it always reminded me MORE of Eno's vocals or with a touch of Bryan Ferry thrown in for good measure).

Having said that, I love the 80's incarnation as well which found their own "voice" bringing the influence of the past into the present and molding it into a "contemporary" progressive sound.

There's a lot of hate directed at Belew by some long time KC fans because he brought a distinctive "pop" direction to the songwriting. I never understood that--I think it was a refereshing change and Belew could be as avant garde as Fripp but also could recognize and follow up on a good melody without over complicating it when it wasn't necessary. He's a brilliant guitarist (easily Fripp's equal although is style is very different--as many here know he was hired by Bowie and even Talking Heads because he COULD imitate Fripp when necessary) and an outstanding songwriter when the muse is with him.
WTDK is offline   Reply With Quote