Music Banter - View Single Post - Julia Nunes
Thread: Julia Nunes
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I like the uke playing but I have to say I'm not overly fond of her voice. Too reminiscent of a million other coffee shop denizens for my tastes.
Yeah, I guess she's really not someone everyone would enjoy. I don't really think her voice sounds that typical, but I know of people who don't like it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVEMENT SAW View Post
Indie*** friend turned me onto her covers. I like her voice a lot. Its not perfect but its soulful. She means what she's singing. I don't think I would be able to listen to her all the time without getting annoyed but she's fun and quirky once in a while.
I'm pretty jealous of you right now, Phanastasio. I would love to see her live.
Best song:
I do love that cover! Definitely one of my favorites of hers. And yes, I think her voice is really good for what she's singing - on her second full length album, she had probably one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard ("Stairwell") played with ukulele, and I'd definitely never heard the uke in a song that emotive. Really good stuff!

Also, she tours pretty extensively - and her shows aren't really that expensive, although I've only seen her the once, and that was over two years ago. She was opening for Ben Folds in D.C., and I think it was her first major non-coffee shop / college show. She was really nervous, but she sounded really good and busted out covers of "Bye Bye Bye" by N Sync and "Survivor" by Destiny's Child.

It was really endearing, especially during "Survivor". She had this look in her eye of complete and utter panic and had this really wide, nervous smile the whole song.

I'm guessing that she's a lot less nervous onstage now-a-days, though. Was supposed to go see her in Louisville, KY last month, but the plans fell through.
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote