Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles
Thread: The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #176 (permalink)
Hitting_Singularity
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTDK View Post
Mono was the stanard at the time and as I'm sure you're aware The Beatles themselves would be around for mono mixing sessions later in their career whereas stereo was an after thought with less time devoted to it (and sometimes Martin himself wasn't around).

Some of the stereo mixes were done by Martin, Norman Smith, etc. with the idea that if someone wanted to listen to them on a mono set (for whatever reason) they would "fold down" into mono when played that way--although I want to point out that the mono mixes were not in anyway a fold down (in fact the only fold down I recall being done during that time was for "Revolution 9" and, some argue, that "Revolution 1" although I'm not a strong believer in that theory based on what I recall of the mixing history of the White Album).
ya, it talks quite a bit about the mixing process and all that stuff in the booklet that comes with The Beatles In Mono. The most interesting thing I found about the mono mixes was that Helter Skelter is actually sped up quite a bit in the mono version making it a tone higher and an entire minute shorter. I quite prefer the sped up version actually. And the entire white album is very noticeably different between mono and stereo in actual aspects of the music not that its just one channel instead of two

"I'm not saying it should be free; I'm saying it should be free-er. I'm not saying it should be free-er; I'm saying the music should be free."
Hitting_Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote