Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #3121 (permalink)
zachsd
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondo View Post
Oh yes, it is Remembrance of Things Past (or In Search of Lost Time). The first volume is titled as 'Du côté de chez Swann' which pretty much translates as Swann's Way. All volumes put together should amount to around 4000 odd pages? Yeah, I'm pretty much going all in!

Interesting that you're reading Three Lives. It's the sort of book I've imagined to read say, on a sunday afternoon. I'm no expert on American literature though, so there's a lot more waiting ahead of it! Do you find it a bit dated in terms of the topics and themes covered? I guess it's more so important for the history 100 years back and the writing style employed.
Wow, well good luck on the Proust. As for Three Lives, from what I've read it is a bit dated, but I was kind of expecting that. I think that's what you get reading an early 20th century lesbian's view on gender and feminism. Luckily you don't get too bogged down with the dated subject-matter because it's a relatively short work, and divided into three even shorter stories. But the style, Jesus Christ, it's amazing. It's nothing like I've ever read. That's why I bought it after all. I've also been reading a lot of Hemingway and other Lost Generation writers recently and figured Stein would be next step. I think it makes sense though that you would want to become more familiar with American literature before reading it, waiting will definitely heighten your appreciation for the work. After all, Stein was known for being more of an influencer than an actual writer.

zachsd is offline   Reply With Quote