Music Banter - View Single Post - Phish: Studio Discography Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
I actually got to see Dude of Life play the weekend of Camp Oswego at a separate festival about 100 miles from the event. None of Phish were backing him, contrary to rumors floating around the crowd that persisted all the way up until the encore. Sadly, as a live experience, he kinda' came off as a lounge tribute to the band. I don't know if that was his intent.

I think my favorite of all the adjunct Phish ensemble has to be Jazz Mandolin Project. I've seen them a lot, about half of the shows with Fishman and half without, but it was seeing them with him that led me to understand what a little badass he is. We actually took him out and got him very...very... wasted one night after a show he did with them in town. Incriminating photos may be available.

A little off topic, but I'm curious to know, being the Trey phan that you are, what do you think of Surrender to the Air? I feel it's still an album that's off a lot of people's radar and I still throw it on once and a while, with my reaction is still , to this day, along the lines of, "...whoah", no matter how many times I listen to it.
I am definitely a lover of his Surrender to the Air project and often share the "...whoa" reaction. I'm not well-versed on jazz by any means, but when I listen to it, it does tend to be of the more free form variety. I was saddened when told by a friend that it just sounded like "noise" to them. It's actually very perfectly balanced, layered, and thought out, I think. They aren't all just trying to get the most in - they're fitting into the pieces where they're needed, and all superb instrumentalists.

I don't know if Dude of Life was trying to sound like a Phish lounge tribute act. Poor guy, haha. He, like Marshall, wrote a bunch of Phish songs (well, not nearly as much contribution as Marshall, actually) but whenever people hear them, they're bound to be familiar with Phish's work - or else they'd not have heard of the Dude of Life - and consider them "Phish's songs". His second album, if I remember correctly, doesn't have Phish as his backing band. I know that Trey and Mike appear on the album, and maybe Fishman too, but I don't think Page plays at all on it.

That is completely awesome that you got Fishman drunk. He seems like such a fun little guy, although in documentaries and interviews, the other guys all definitely sell him out as the trouble maker. He used to miss loads of shows or some in late for shows a lot when Phish was in their early stages, and apparently he and Trey used to fight - like, physically fight - a bit. AND yes, Jazz Mandolin Project is very nice to listen to - although I believe I only have two or three live recordings in my tapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
I just have to say that I glanced over this thread and just had to listen to 'Fuck Your Face'. Best Phish song I've ever heard!
Very glad that you enjoyed "**** Your Face"! It really isn't that indicative of Phish's music as a whole, but they do have their share of interesting, more heavy-type songs from time to time.
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote