Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock/Metal/Prog Education Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #114 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalsBass View Post
Here is his view on the subject.

"Bands are defined by their hits (as far as genres and public are concerned)....and RUSH's main hits are NOT progressive, they are just awesome hard rock songs".
"Yes!, Rush has some songs that I could consider Progressive, like for example La Villa, but overall, I see them as a very technical, legendary rock band....nothing more, nothing less, Rush is a Hard Rock Band".

Regardless of my opinion, I do see where he ^ is coming from. I myself, think that Rush is better classified in the Progressive Rock genre, they layed the blueprint to their style of progressive rock, with the album Caress Of Steel, which then went on to 2112. Isn't that progressive rock? more so, than heavy metal or hard rock.
Hits are not always represenative of a bands true sound........so I don`t think that statement holds true.

Some of the best known prog bands Yes, Pink Floyd and Kansas for example have had hits and songs that have been extremely easy on the ear, melodic and not really prog, but these bands are very representative of the prog genre.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote