Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #1749 (permalink)
bob.
Still sends his reguards.

from Janszoon:

Philip Jeck - Sand

this has got to be one of my favorite artists that i have been introduced to since my time here

when this was sent to me i was simply told that he was a turntablist....which in my mind opens many possibilities of what this record would sound like....as a pleasant surprise none of what i had in mind was what i got

this album really represents something i had only heard once before with the art of turntablism (sp?)....the crackling of records, mixed with what seems to be orchestrations and a continuous ambience....with an odd hint of despondency

this album floats in a calm black sea....seriously that is the best description i have for it.....it's very euphoric....and seemingly transcends time....in the fact that although the songs are in many ways separate....they blend so well that length of track and album disappears...which kind of makes it difficult to break this review down into tracks alone

i've listened to Sand many times now and in different situations in bed in darkness, playing Wii, on a nice bike ride, and quite a few times sitting here and every time i listen to this album i can't help but think of Futurama and Fry playing the 'Holophoner'....thats almost the exact feeling i get....as if the music itself is both auditory and hallucinogenic....

Spoiler for Fry and his Holophoner:

i have to say that this album is one that when it comes up on random 9 out of 10 times i stop the random playlist and listen to it from beginning to end...its sort of mood music for all moods

i have to say Janszoon you really stumped me with this album....its very difficult to review as i really have nothing to compare it to and the music itself creates such and emotional feeling....it's simply beautiful

Spoiler for see for yourself :):

this album reminds me of floating in a sensory depravation tank (floats)

thanks again....wonderful album and i really look forward to hearing his other albums
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote