Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums of the year 2010
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #123 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Ok, after giving half of these albums a relisten I've decided that it's time to stop agonising over all the albums I've yet to hear, so here's my list. I feel that there were a lot of good albums this year, but there was nothing which blew me away... I've certainly heard some zany albums though (*cough* Laurie Anderson).

Top Albums:

The Fall - Your Future, Our Clutter
This is probably my fav release this year... enquire within for a head-bopping good time!

Killing Joke - Absolute Dissent
Trust these guys to still be releasing awesome albums... this is a case of veterans blowing the young'uns out of the water. This is funky and it kicks my ass, therefore I like it

Crippled Black Phoenix - I, Vigilante
This one was a bit of a surprise actually, and a pleasant one at that. They're being marketed as a post-rock supergroup featuring members from Mogwai, Electric Wizard etc. but this album reminds me more of Riverside, mid-period Floyd and Porcupine Tree. And it's better than EW's new album

Negură Bunget - Vîrstele pămîntului
Looks like these Romanian guys are carrying the black metal banner for 2010... melancholic and atmospheric like Drudkh, but better (but not as good as their previous, OM).

Swans - My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky
New Swans, yay! I won't lie when I say I was a bit disappointed because it's a little lesser than their usual stellar standards. But it's still nice and disturbing, the way Swans should be.

Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
Such a cool refreshing sound from steaming hot Western Australia. Who cares about Black Mountain when bands like this exist?

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today
I love the vibe here! This is just a really good album. And Beverly Kills well... kills!

Autechre - Oversteps
I'm still undecided on this one but I think I like it a lot ... it's sometimes hard to tell with Autechre. Lemme give it another few listens and see where I stand

Grinderman - Grinderman 2
Not as good as other Nick Cave material but let's face it, anything he does trumps everything by everyone else (and I'm going to have to start backing up these bold claims soon enough). This has me amped for seeing them at the Big Day out next month!

Black Keys - Brothers
I was a bit skeptical when I saw this contained 15 tracks but those worries were unfounded... this is not only consistent but actually pretty ****ing great. Sounds a bit more soul-influenced than previous efforts too.

Menomena - Mines
This one took a few listens to sink in but I'm glad to have discovered this band. This is anthemic, arty and rocking at the same time... they sometimes sound like Kings of Leon, but with depth and subtlety.

The National - High Violet
It's my brooding nighttime listening album... need I say more?

Second Tier:

Current 93 - Baalstorm, Sing Omega
This is actually the first thing I've heard by these guys. I can't help but think that this is what Rik Mayall would produce if he went into music

Liars - Sisterworld
Really quite redolent of This Heat, as well as the Fall and Melt Banana to a lesser extent. But unlike 90% of the post-punk revival bands around, these guys actually have something to offer.

Uochi Toki - Cuore amore errore disintegrazione
Some interesting instrumental hip hop beats from an Italian guy with a Japanese name

Villagers - Becoming a Jackal
This appeals to the indie fag inside me It's a decent release from the Irish singer/songwriter Conor O'Brien and I'd recommend it to any Bright Eyes fans... hell, the guy's name is even similar.

Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
Good but not worth jizzing over

Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
A bit patchy, but also great in places.

Also, the second tier albums that I can't be bothered describing:
Erland & the Carnival - S/T, Alcest - Écailles de lune, Tera Melos - Patagonian Rats, Robyn Hitchcock & Venus 3 - Propellor Time, Deftones - Diamond Eyes, Junip - Fields

Bands whose 2010 albums I wanted to listen to, but never got around to hearing:
Flying Lotus, Gonjasufi, These New Puritans, Mulatu Astatke, Big Big Train, La Maschera..., Deerhunter, Four Tet, Dessa, Burzum, Enslaved, Robert Plant, Elvis Costello, Band of Horses, Brian Eno, Bonobo, Sharon Jones...

Last edited by Seltzer; 12-14-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Seltzer is offline   Reply With Quote