Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles
Thread: The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #183 (permalink)
Hitting_Singularity
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMartin321 View Post
Is it me or is Rubber Soul (an awesome album of course) an album which is negative towards women. I realised it once, I mean it must have come around the time that Lennon's relationship to his former wife was deteriorating.

If you think of the tracks' meanings, for example Norwegian Wood can be interpreted as burning down a girl's flat for not staying up with him and having sex. Run for your Life is obviously negative, it does what it says.

Girl - "She was told when she was young that pain would lead to pleasure, Did she understand it when they said, That a man must break his back to earn his day of leisure, Will she still believe it when she's dead?"

What Goes On In Your Heart, If I Needed Someone, I'm Looking Through You, You Won't See Me, Think For Yourself... all not exactly filled with love towards someone, mostly they're about bitterness and anger towards a loved one. Even the opening song, Drive My Car, is kind of saying I'm going to be famous and I'm in charge, but if you want, you can **** me while I'm on the way to stardom.

I love it, great album. Does anyone agree/disagree with my views? One friend disagreed with me and said I'd read too far into the album. I agree that some tracks are clearly affectionate, eg In My Life, Michelle, The Word etc, but you can't deny the number of negative emotion songs!
hey I never realized that, but it's actually very true now that I think about it, thanks for pointing it out! I have to listen to the album with that in mind now lol.

Rubber soul used to be my favorite album, until I really listened to Abbey Road and sgt. Peppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadpanda View Post
I'm asking if there is a digital remaster of the mono in how you say. I have the mono and stereo versions but the only difference I can find is that the mono just doesn't have the last minute added on like the stereo.
oh, sorry I made a mistake there. I looked at it again, it's 'Don't pass me by' that is half a pitch higher, helter skelter just got cut off a minute earlier lol. My bad

"I'm not saying it should be free; I'm saying it should be free-er. I'm not saying it should be free-er; I'm saying the music should be free."
Hitting_Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote