Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #186 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

So, turns out I've got a bit too much on for a few days to get any album reviews that need doing done (next week's the best bet for those), so here's that bootleg I promised a whole post ago...

The Bootleg Corner

Live @ the Sweetwater, Mill Valley, CA, 29/4/89

1. Accidents Will Happen [Elvis Costello]
2. Brilliant Mistake [Elvis Costello]
3. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror [Elvis Costello]
4. Mystery Dance [Elvis Costello]
5. Poisoned Rose [Elvis Costello & the Confederates]
6. God's Comic [Elvis Costello]
7. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes [Elvis Costello]
8. New Lace Sleeves [Elvis Costello]
9. Pads, Paws And Claws [Elvis Costello]
10. Radio Sweetheart / Jackie Wilson Said [Elvis Costello]
11. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? [Elvis Costello & Nick Lowe]
12. The Big Light [Elvis Costello & the Confederates]
13. Pouring Water On A Drowning Man [Elvis Costello & the Confederates]
14. The Only Daddy That'll Walk The Line [Elvis Costello & the Confederates]
15. Leave My Kitten Alone [Elvis Costello & the Confederates]
16. I Stepped In Quicksand [Charles Brown]
17. Drifting Blues [Charles Brown]
18. I Wanna Be With You [Charles Brown]
19. One's Too Many (And A Hundred Ain't Enough) [Kim Wilson & Nick Lowe]
20. Real Gone Lover [Kim Wilson]
21. You Win Again [Elvis Costello & Jerry Garcia]
22. Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down [Elvis Costello & Jerry Garcia]
23. Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)? [Elvis Costello & Jerry Garcia]
24. Riot In Cell Block #9 [Commander Cody with Elvis Costello & Jerry Garcia]
25. Going Down [Sammy Hagar with Elvis Costello & Jerry Garcia]
26. C.C. Rider [Bob Weir with Elvis Costello & Jerry Garcia]
27. Turn On Your Lovelight [Bob Weir with Elvis Costello & Jerry Garcia]
28. Let The Good Times Roll [Elvis Costello & Jerry Garcia]
29. Lovable [Elvis Costello & the Confederates]

And here it is! In celebration of the 21st anniversary of the Village Music record store's birth, none other than our lad Elvis Costello was chosen to provide the main set in the nearby Sweetwater rock club.

To start with, we're served a juicy dish of solo acoustic readings of a few selections from Costello's back-catalogue, which make for a very good listen in itself, what with the lad being pretty chatty and fairly funny throughout that portion of the set (his running commentary on God's Comic being a personal highlight). Following that is a very nice duet between him and his old chum Nick Lowe, before his then-backing band the Confederates (or at least a slightly modified version of them) come onstage to get through themore band-suited numbers.

After that things get even more interesting when several other musicians who'd been invited to the Village Music party take to the stage to sing a few songs, play a few notes and so on. It really adds to what's already a very good bootleg, as a constantly-changing band makes its way through several blues classics and, at Costello's behest, a few Hank Williams tunes. Basically the thing, the final 13 tracks especially, are just pure, red raw music, and it all gives off the wonderful sound of a bunch of veteran singers, songwriters and musicians just really enjoying themselves.

Oh, and the sound quality's right out of the top drawer too. So, click the picture for the download link...what are you waiting for
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote