Music Banter - View Single Post - member bans
Thread: member bans
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #258 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Boo might have contributed, but the reason he was banned was the same as it was for any other member - He broke the rules and ignored warnings. Whether either deserved the action taken against them isn't my call, although I would say yes.
I have to say that the situation with Boo wasn't all that cut and dry. There was a lot that lead to the culmination of that situation and a lot of members who cried foul after he was banned actually contributed to that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre
What I was trying to illustrate is that despite the outcry over the respective bannings of each, there IS a lot that goes on BEFORE a ban is even considered in order to provide for everyone a fair chance to become and remain a contributing forum member whose actions can be relied upon to be at most times if not all, reasonable and inoffensive.

In other words, it was an attempt to help illustrate to everyone, as the mods have been saying, that there is no threat to the forums established levels of free speech, nor is there a threat of being banned on one moderators whim or sayso. Anyone who gets banned gets banned because all of the other options available to the mods have failed to curb their unacceptable behaviour. Thats what a lot of people seem to be missing here. They see the ban at the end of the long process of moderation, and assume that all moderation is banning.

Just because they don't see the hard work our mod team put in to AVOID banning members, doesn't give them a right to make threads like this that put the mod team in an awkward position, every time a controversial member gets banned and someone feels the need to hold up a flag of protest against it. Thats not to say that I disagree with us being allowed to make threads that question the mods, of course that should be allowed, but it seems to me that people are trying to hold Boobs and Dirtys bannings up as if they're abuses of power, without considering that these are decisions made after reasonable and in some cases extensive deliberation and multiple chances are given.

In defense of the other mods, I acted quite hastily and independently of the other moderators in the banning of dirty and I probably shouldn't have done that. The way that I dealt with the situation was not according to protocol. I just saw that the event that was ultimately the impetus for his banning as one that required immediate action. I can't say that I necessarily did the right thing, only that I did what I felt was necessary at the moment.