Music Banter - View Single Post - Michael Jackson
Thread: Michael Jackson
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #1075 (permalink)
thirtiesgirl
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I don't think he ever molested any children. Innocent until proven guilty anyone? He was acquitted both times and it's obvious if you examine the cases at all that it was exploitation. If you're accused of something that doesn't make you guilty. That's the difference between our "civilized" legal process and the witch hunts of Salem.
Here's the thing, though: just because you're not proven guilty doesn't mean you're innocent. There's nothing right about an adult man who allows young children to sleep in his bed with him, children who are not his own. I have no issue with MJ's glorification and appreciation of idyllic childhood memories. I'm sure the kids who hung out at Neverland Ranch and got to go on all the amusement park rides, pet the animals in the petting zoo, and do all the other fun stuff MJ had, had an absolutely great time there. I'd love to do some of those things myself. But inviting children into your personal space to share your bed is something else entirely and doesn't suggest a psychologically healthy mind. There's a difference between appreciating idyllic childhood memories by trying to create more for young kids, and actually 'appreciating' the kids. When kids are young, they're still learning to define their personal boundaries and understand that their bodies are their own. If they're sharing close physical space with an adult, it violates those boundaries in ways they don't yet understand. They don't know enough yet to understand that it's ok to tell the adult that they're feeling uncomfortable and might even think they're doing something wrong by speaking up. They don't want to experience adult anger. How is it good for kids to experience fear and not know enough to protect themselves?