Music Banter - View Single Post - Top albums you discovered this year that aren't from 2010
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Karsten Pflum - Flugten fra år 2000 (2005)
I'm happy to have discovered this Dutch IDM artist. The first I heard was a 2010 release compilation of previous material, called Slaphead Faun. I heard some very Aphex Twin-like melodies in there...without sounding like a rip off at all. This guy is skilled. This album here has a more unique style I'd say. If you're a fan of Richard James, Autechre, and Plaid, check him out.

Lootpack - Soundpieces: Da Antidote (1999)
Early hip-hop group featuring Madlib and some other dudes. It's fucking awesome.

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Pig Lib (2003)
This album really struck me when I listened to it earlier in the year. I'd put it on par with just about any Pavement album. Unfortunately the others haven't fared as well, though still enjoyable. This one is just awesome.

Man Man - Six Demon Bag (2006)
I'd heard of this band before this year, but was exposed to them when the song "Engwish Bwudd" was played at the end of a Weeds episode - and it totally fit. I found out who the band was and eventually got all of their albums. I like them all equally, but this was the first and features the song that got me into them.

MF DOOM - Operation: Doomsday (1999)
Finally I got around to listening to him. This sort of defines the kind of hip-hop I look for. Not all tracks are perfect, but when it's good I find myself saying "god DAMN I need more shit like this". Mm.. Food is just as good but I'm listing this one because I heard it first.