Music Banter - View Single Post - Top albums you discovered this year that aren't from 2010
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

The Morning Benders - Talking Through Tin Cans (2008)
At first I found this to be somewhat generic indie rock/pop, reminiscent of The Shins and similar acts. I enjoyed a few songs right away, but the rest were pretty average. Well it grew on me. I still have it rated only at 3.5 stars, but I played it quite a bit and it made an impression on me. Their latest is good but I prefer this one. It's more fun. Good summer album, great for walking about.

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (2009)
This was pretty hyped and I saw many mentions of it on various forums since last year. I don't recall what prompted me to check it out, perhaps I heard a song I liked somewhere and realized it was them so I went for it. Turned out to be one of my favorite albums this summer, it really put me in a great mood. Once I was leaving work and it was just gorgeous out, I was waiting for the bus and it put me on a quest to take music less seriously and find other great fun summer albums - and take more chances with stuff I may think is uncool or too pop at first.

Pylon - Chomp (1983)
Great female-fronted post punk. I heard Gyrate first, but I think this one's more fun.

Simon & Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence (1966)
I had a rip of their greatest hits on my computer from my ex, but only listened to it when a song came up on shuffle. I finally decided to listen to the comp in its entirety and it prompted me to get their albums. I think I like the first 3 equally, but this is the one I've played the most.

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kaleidoscope (1980)
I always liked a few singles (not from this album) so I thought I'd check out some albums. I don't have too much to say about this as it's been a while since I played it, but it's the one I've rated the highest so far.