Music Banter - View Single Post - Mrd00d here, hoping to settle in
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd00d View Post
Absolutely. It came around to the point where you could say I've researched my way from modern 90s all the way back to swing and blues, and jazz, and then progressed back forward picking up the less obvious on the way back..Right in time to catch up on the good music that came out while I was 'gone' (I had given up on current music by 2002, not having proper knowledge of where to look and for what) The way back has been a slow enjoyable journey. In the last couple of years, I've fallen in love with more music than I ever knew existed, times 10. My musical knowledge of the 80s in general is still 'pathetic', at least as compares to any other decade in music from 60's through present at least.

Ah, The Court of the Crimson King.
Ah, The Return of the Giant Hogweed.
Ah, Dogs.......... oh dragged down by the stoooonneee....

It's too much, man. We could sit here and banter back and forth about every relevant band in music's history that we have in common. Personally, I've got about 5 hours left in my night. So maybe we can strike up richer conversation yet.
Hehe, I've had a similar journey backwards in time. I am quite pathetic with knowledge about music from the last decade, but from the 90s and back through time to the 50s/60s, I'm familiar with/know a lot more.

It's always nice to see someone else with an interest in both jazz and rock music from previous decades! Among your space rock mentions in the psychedelic rock thread, I saw you mention Steve Hillage which makes me think you might enjoy our prog & fusion album club which was created for discussing prog & fusion, one album at a time. We've done quite a few Canterbury scene albums, hence the Hillage connection.

You should check it out when you have the time