Music Banter - View Single Post - Music and Conditioning
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Music is like a web, and you're dropped in the center. The music you're exposed to in early ages usually is dictated by what your parents listen to, and whatever you pick up. I whole-heartily believe that the early years of music are conditioning.

From there, it's up to you what direction to go, and how far to go on it. Obviously there's guidelines. I mean, it's very rare you'll be exposed to every type of music to ever exist. However, there obviously is cultural guidelines. Obviously, you're going to get a lot more exposure to Hendrix, Beatles, etc. than you will to Soft Machine even if Soft Machine is a band that musically matches up to them. This form of conditioning is very much inevitable. Very few people go past their inherit cultural surroundings. I mean, when you get even more obscure, like bands like Fanfare Ciocarlia, you get a really divide in those who dare to go further, and those who don't. Then again, maybe daring to go further, and ignoring what you left behind is just as much a result of conditioning. My choices in doing so certainly do reflect from my personality which was guided by many hereditary, and environmental traits just as all psychology.

Still, it doesn't mean you don't have free choice, and that sometimes your ear buds do act just as taste buds and react with a very natural reaction to sound immediately, depending on your personality.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote