Music Banter - View Single Post - Music and Conditioning
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
DMy friend operates under this hypothesis that the only reason Radiohead is so popular is because somebody influential (or some group) arbitrarily decided that they released the best album of the 90's, and as a result a large amount of people began listening to their music, even though they might not necessarily have enjoyed it, until they actually did enjoy it.
Haha, no. Anybody who actually remembers Radiohead's rise to fame can tell your friend that that doesn't make sense. A large amount of people listened to them right from the Pablo Honey era. It's just that they were seen as a band with a catchy, popular single and that's it. Then The Bends came along, got a decent amount of critical praise and spawned a couple minor hits. They were already very well known when they released OK Computer.

But, to your point, yes I do think you can be conditioned to like music. There have definitely been times where I've put some effort into checking out stuff that didn't immediately appeal to me and eventually it's won me over, presumable through repeated exposure.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote