Music Banter - View Single Post - 10 Reasons Why The Rolling Stones Were Better Than The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 04:15 AM   #286 (permalink)
RingotheRat
Groupie

Default Most of the things you've said are wrong and here's why:

1. Keith Richards , coolest guitarist on the planet- Coolest maybe but George Harrison is still tehcnically better so your point is void in my eyes. He played the first backwards guitar on 'I'm Only Sleeping' how does Richards compare to that?

2. Mick Jagger, greatest frontman of all time- non-specific and not relevent to what it is your trying to argue these are opinions not facts so again not valid in my eyes.

3. Yoko Ono or Marianne Faithful, back in the 60s who would you rather have been seen on the arm with? -John fell in love with Yoko get over it, it's irrelivant to their music although it did argueably break up the band besides the Beatles had nice wives and girlfriends too it's very easy to choose the worst (although actually the worst would be Heather Mills) Cynthia was lovely.

4. Songs about sex , drugs , deprevation , heartache , rejection , revenge & decadence are better than kiddie love songs & mystical bollocks.
Beatles - Wrote chart friendly pop songs & ballads. Stones wrote gritty hard rock songs -There is nothing childish with a bit of optimism and nothign special or unique about misery the charts are full of it and to be honest that's not what I listen to music for. That said the Beatles spanned the genres you can't pen them into a catergory if you want misery listen to 'Yer Blues' if you want rejection listen to 'No Reply' if you want drugs listen to 'Doctor Robert' I could go on...

5. The Beatles had to have their faces on album covers , The Stones could stick a picture of a toilet on theirs & still have it sell millions. -Simply not true look at The White Album, The Beatles could have nothing at all on their cover and still sell it in millions.

6. Stones - The 70s , Exile On Main Street, Sticky Fingers, It`s Only Rock n Roll
Beatles - The 70s , Wings , Yoko Ono`s songwriting & Ringo Starr solo albums *shudder* -Yoko Ono ISN'T The Beatles she's not in the band and therefore you can't take her into account whereas you ought to take into account songs like 'Jealous Guy', 'Imagine', 'Woman', 'Watching the Wheels' that make up for anything. And Paul's work in the 70s wasn't that bad he still had some great songs and once Wings found their feet they were a good band.

7. The Beatles stopped touring because they couldn`t hack it , Keith Richards played an entire gig at gunpoint. -The Beatles stopped touring because they couldn't hear themselves play and they didn't want to be playing badly, it was a step away from their commercial image and once they moved away from live performances they put together some albums unlike anything heard before or after.

8. Charlie Watts would never lower himself to doing Thomas The Tank Engine voiceovers. -It's not about pride, Thomas the Tank Engine used to be a charming programme and if there is one thing The Beatles had it was charm- not a reason to put them down. I don't think Charlie Watts would have been invited in the first place to be honest.

9. Paul McCartney - The Frog Chorus , Mick Jagger - She`s The Boss.
Both bad yes but if forced at gunpoint I know what i`m going to choose. -I like the Frog Chrous, it's sweet not everything has to be cynical to have value. And I love Paul's blind optimism it's one of the things that makes him my favourite Beatle.

10 Apperence , looking like you just got dragged from the street > Matching suits. How many bands these days look like this... -Another stupid point as they only wore the suits in their first few years it's just the image that stuck and it's not an image they initially chose for themselves either although I quite like it. But if you look at what they wore in the late 60s you'd see why your very wrong.
RingotheRat is offline   Reply With Quote