Music Banter - View Single Post - The Tao of Music
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Musikwala
Music Addict

Interesting topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
From a completely practical standpoint, music can be seen as nothing more than a waste of time yet thousands of people dedicate their lives to making it. Why?
It is so painful to even see music being called a waste of time! But I do understand the point you're making about practicality. I guess that is why many people are happy enough with music merely being a part of their background. This would be the same majority of people out there who will turn on any junk on Top 40 radio and leave it on at a low volume and talk over it.

Whereas, people like us will go deep into the songs and feel a strong connection to either the music or the lyrics or the vocals etc. Personally, I think it is something that is possibly wired deep in our genes or DNA. I'm not saying that we are born music addicts but there has got to be something in us that is receptive to the parent or older sibling or friend who wants to get us into any particular kind of music when we are young. And we latch on, discovering more and more, digging deeper and deeper until the sense of appreciating music becomes totally ingrained in our very being, deep inside our permanent memories. Music becomes so much a part of the kind of person we are that we cannot comfortably function without it! I don't know if I'm making any sense at all but it felt good writing all that.
Musikwala is offline   Reply With Quote