Music Banter - View Single Post - Is metal the biggest bottomless pit in the history of music?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I've been a metalhead for three decades and still the deeper I dig into the genre the more I realise it just goes on forever and ever. I'm sure it's in part because I have a predisposition to the genre but it seems more than any other genre even crappy bands can still be really good and fun to listen to. And it seems like every country in the world produces at least some quality metal. Whether it's mainstream or super deviant and obscure doesn't even matter to me.
Exactly it. Crappy metal isn't fun to listen to in general. Crappy 'anything' isn't fun to listen to in general; if you feel that way, it obviously means you have a soft spot for the genre in the first place, and therefore you'll likely be able to fathom anything bad it offers. It's not really a bigger bottomless pit than folk, drone and/or punk... They all produce quality albums to this day and a fair amount of garbage. As for your comment on countries: Good folk comes from all over the world (hence its genre name, folk meaning 'music of the common people'). Good punk is likewise everywhere because everybody can be cathartic (yes I generalized punk to catharsis, get over it).

Genres are only bottomless pits because theoretically people will continue making music that falls under their stylistic boundaries forever. If tomorrow making metal music suddenly became illegal, then it would no longer be bottomless. And seeing as it's been around about - what, 50 years at the most? Whereas genres like jazz, folk and rock have been active for so much longer and continually release just as much worthwhile material. The biggest bottomless pits lie in the genres that have been established the longest, and are still filled with ingenious thought. Jazz would probably be my number one stop (and let's just forget that Kenny G and his disciples even exist, as they are not jazz).
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote