Music Banter - View Single Post - Is "Indie" a genre?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
James
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Elliott Smith is considered indie-folk and released two major label releases. The Decemberists are still described as indie-folk and they're on Capitol, whom also have released records by Kevin Devine. Bright Eyes is considered indie-folk but Saddle Creek's distribution is handled through Alternative Distribution Alliance, which is controlled by Warner Bros. The ADA also handles Cavity Search, Merge, Equal Vision, Polyvinyl, Secretly Canadian, Sub Pop, Barsuk, Domino, and many other supposedly "independent" labels. How many labels are actually indie? How many artists commonly thrown under the "indie-folk" umbrella are actually on those labels?
Exactly what annoys me about that classification. Indie is thrown about so much these days that people have lost sight of what it means.

I got into a huge argument with boo boo over this once, he caimed he hated Joanna Newsom for being on the "Indie Folk Bandwagon" while imo she doesn't sound like any other artist being called that. I think like Grunge and Britpop in the 90s, Indie has become more of a movement than a genre in the 00s with the help of publications like NME and to use a cliche Pitchfork.
James is offline   Reply With Quote