Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #249 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Default "The Santa Song" - Ho ho holy! ;)

Dear MBers,

I have been waiting twelve long months to post the lyrics of "The Santa Song," which I wrote last December as a backup song for MusicBanter's 2009 "A Festivus for the rest of us" Song Contest. http://www.musicbanter.com/lounge/45...g-contest.html

"The Santa Song" deals with my puzzlement that people believe in one supernatural being rather than another, and claim that one religion is more reasonable than another. What makes Christianity seem more believable than Hinduism, Roman gods and goddesses, Asherah (the female deity dispensed with early on in The Bible Asherah pole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), or...Santa?

In my view, all religions and stories such as Santa are the myths created by humans terrified by death and the unknown, and longing for love and security, although I realize I can't disprove these myths. Even Santa might be real, but he's delivering presents to children on Planet Xglug!

I am especially bothered when parents force their mythical thinking onto children. I am perplexed when people who swallow Christianity believe the Santa story is fictional, lie to children to make them believe there is a Santa, tell them to follow Jesus Christ or face damnation, but then finally admit that Santa was a lie but still try to make their children believe in a religion that to me seems much more implausable than Santa Claus!

I feel that lying to kids by telling them there is a Santa or a god is disrespectful and deceitful toward children. Similarly, telling children that the universe loves them, that they will live after death, etc., when you have no way to truly know this, also misleads children and distorts their ability to separate fact from fiction.

I might be more forgiving of religions if believers within the U.S. government didn't try to force my child to say "one nation, under God" every single morning at school, as if this weren't promoting religion when it is OBVIOUS to any thinking human that such teachings promote a (monotheistic) religious belief in a supernatural being.

Thanks to religious people in school and circles of relatives, my child has become afraid of saying the word "hell" for fear he will go there. He used to get very disturbed when I would mention "hell" while discussing people's religious beliefs, because he feared just saying "hell" would consign me to everlasting torture! I feel life has enough *real* scary stuff to worry about without people concocting disturbing stories about hell and heaven and scaring little children unnecessarily.

That is the background behind "The Santa Song." In this song I describe some of the *real* scary and sad things in life, which I face without making up palliative stories about happy endings:

"The Santa Song" by Erica

It's hard to remember the view from the top
when everything's going downhill.
It's hard to remember your cup was ever full
when there's nothing left to spill.

It's hard to recall how it felt to be warm
when you're out in the cold.
It's hard to recall how it felt to be young
when you look in the mirror and you're old.

You know there's going to be a last time
and all that you love will end.
You'd like to think the tunnel leads to light
but I can never pretend

everything will get better,
it'll be alright,
the future may look dark
but it's gonna be bright,
life is eternal,
someone's gonna save you,
the universe is filled with love and...
Santa is true.

It's hard to believe life was ever easy
once it's always uphill.
It's hard to believe in mind over matter
when you find you lack the will.

It's hard to recall you ever had choices
when choices are gone.
It's hard to feel the sun will always shine
while watching your last dawn.

The child whose hand you hold
will grow up and go away.
The person in the bed beside you
won't be able to stay.
I know the best policy is honesty,
so I won't claim this is what I see:

everything will get better,
it'll be alright,
the future may look dark
life is eternal,
someone's gonna save you,
Santa is true.

Everything will get better,
it'll be alright,
the future may look dark
life is eternal,
truth is what you feel,
Santa is real.

I've seen him,
I feel him,
I read about him in a book!
I left him sugar cookies
and he ate them up -- look!

I feel Him,
I know Him,
I read about him in a Book!
He left me lovely presents
and that's my proof of Him -- look!
That's my proof of Him -- look!
That's my proof of Him. Look!

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 12-25-2010 at 10:12 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote