Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 12:47 AM   #6190 (permalink)
zachsd
Music Addict

Serge Gainsbourg - Cannabis (1970)

Serge Gainsbourg is one of those musicians where I discover one album that I really, really like and completely forget about the rest of his discography. Well today I finally got around to downloading another of his albums after like, a year of not listening to anything new by him, and it's absolutely incredible.

If you like Histoire de Melody Nelson, then I think there's a really good chance you would like this album. Groovy, laid-back bass lines and a general atmosphere that exudes sleaze all point back to Histoire for me. Most of the soundtrack is instrumental though, so anyone familiar with Gainsbourg's voice will probably be slightly disappointed. Overall, an amazing album.

One of my favorite tracks:

Also....

Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra (1972)

After about two years of being an avid Werner Herzog fan, I've finally gotten around to downloading Popol Vuh, and now I'm wondering why it took me so long. An ambient/krautrock band from the 70s, Popol Vuh's music is ethereal and soft yet lush and elaborate, combining a lot of synth work with traditional instrumentation form pre-Columbian (hence the Maya band name) and Asian cultures. Very spiritual stuff.

My favorite song (featuring some Korean singer who I'm not familiar with):

Last edited by zachsd; 12-26-2010 at 01:09 AM.
zachsd is offline   Reply With Quote