Music Banter - View Single Post - Got Feminism?
Thread: Got Feminism?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 02:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Default Got Feminism?

I'm wondering, whether or not you lovely people believe that feminism is still needed? Some might say that men and women generally are equal in regards to work and opportunities.

The other debate I'd like to propose is, what really defines a feminist? Can it be defined?

I believe that it's not about burning bras and hating men. It's about women becoming empowered and empowering their own to be what they want to be. Yes women can do anything these days, but it doesn't mean it's easier. We are expected to run households, look after children, manage finances, have a career and a husband. No wonder they can't cope. No wonder rates of depression are so high. With all the benefits of equal rights has come a LOT of responsibility.

Were women really destined to be carers and child bearers? Is it really in the Earth's best interests to produce any more children? I don't believe it is. I think tighter controls should be enforced and more focus be on feeding the people that already exist who live in dire situations. I may be rambling but I really think people put down feminism without realising what it has done for women in the past and what it could still do presently to improve women's welfare.