Music Banter - View Single Post - Got Feminism?
Thread: Got Feminism?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 03:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

There are inequalities that still exist, and likely more for women than men, but by and large equality has been achieved in most civilised societies. What still has to be achieved is the more backwards misogynist societies catching up in that regard, and in places like japan, a cultural shift away from misogyny is taking a long time to really take hold. The younger generation are starting to get it, but among the more violent youth and the old timers, its still a prevalent social attitude that women should be a certain way and act accordingly.

Bear in mind we want to avoid positive discrimination but we should also take into account that for a large number of things women are simply different. An example would be politics. There are less women in politics, but that by and large seems to be because women don't WANT to be in politics. Canada has a scheme whereby women are given cash incentives in the forms of higher salaries and benefits, if they choose to work in fields where women are currently 'underrepresented', but these cash incentives in my mind are a terrible idea, because they work on the assumption that all things should have a 50/50 gender split, which will result in women being coerced by cash incentives, into careers and jobs that they're not interested in and not suited for. (And, according to a canadian friend of mine, already has)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote