Music Banter - View Single Post - Recording Singing Vocals on a PC - Looking for some straight answers
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
the_13th
Groupie

Okay I'm going to be specific now that I know what i want, I think the fact that I didnt know what I wanted, or what i was asking for is why peoples answers elsewhere have been so confusing. So far you guys have been brilliant but I suspect my lack of knowing what I wanted was getting a little annoying. So here goes my attempt to be more precise (and sorry for the double post)...

What do I want to record?
Me singing, possible some voice work.

What else will it be used for?
Possible acoustic or acoustic electric guitar. (much later down the line)

How do you want it to sound?
As professional as you could expect, I'm not expecting CD quality material but I also dont want it to sound like a guy singing into a webcam mic.

What do I want?
An appropriate microphone, a device that allows it to be recorded to the PC at respectable quality and software that could be used to edit it, enhance it or whatever. If that comes with something great but otherwise I'll play around with Audiocity for now. Id like my voice to be picked up essentially, I am a tenor and I do have quite a powerful voice at times.

What do you want to spend?
I havent set a budget at this time but as little as possible.

Microphone Considerations:
- Shure SM58
- Rode NT1-A
- Rode NT2-A
- Audio Technica AT2020
still open to idea's

To PC:
- Yamaha Audiogram
------------------------

Does that make my confusion any easier to understand?
Is there any advantage to devices other than Audio Interfaces?
Would a dynamic mic be a huge disadvantage? They've always performed well for me live but Ive never been in a recording situation before
the_13th is offline   Reply With Quote