Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #349 (permalink)
Dotoar
Supernatural anaesthetist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric generic View Post
if you aren't being sarcastic, that may be the problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric generic View Post
all of my friends that listen to radiohead are fairly open-minded in regards to music as a whole. I have trouble getting people into them.

all I get from this: they are popular and it annoys me, they don't play extraordinary music, and they were true inventors. you are still being quite vague.

which album do you consider their most overrated?
Let me state my opinion again: I believe they are overrated as a creative art band considering their general popularity. That doesn't mean I myself don't like them (which is somewhat true although I definitely recognize their talents). I just don't see their appeal according to what people in general claim it to be, i.e. why they ought to be rated any higher than contemporary art bands like Blur, Flaming Lips etc. And mind you, I'm not talking about anyone's personal tastes here.

I suppose this may be a regional phenomenom since I obviously encounter it here in Sweden, while it may be less significant in other countries. I could name another typical example in the swedish band Kent, whose style is quite similar to Radiohead and who are also sort of over-emphasized in terms of mainly emotionality (although their appeal seems to be less of an artsy character). That said, I actually like Kent myself, and more so than Radiohead but once again, that may be a national thing.