Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #14370 (permalink)
dankrsta

Lard Free - Lard Free (1973)

Stumbled upon this very interesting French progressive band and got their first album for now. The music here is a very compelling blend of avant-prog, jazz and liberating experimentation of German kraut-rock. I think this album will grow on me very quickly.

Urban Sax - Urban Sax I (1977)

This 'band' is related to the one above. Gilbert Artman of Lard Free founded this ensemble that mainly consists of large number of saxophones (16 here?). I've read that number grew over the years and can reach 50 and more. The result on this album I can best describe as saxophone drone. Apparently they are best experienced live. I found this description of their performances:
Quote:
Urban Sax has performed throughout Europe and in Asia. The group's performances are performance art happenings; players wear metallic space suit-like costumes together with gas masks, and each performance is a unique ritualistic event that is planned for the particular architectural or natural space where it is to take place.