Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #8874 (permalink)
bob.
Still sends his reguards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post

Pi by Darren Aronofsky

Ugh, I don't know, I didn't really like this. It's interesting to look at with its beautiful black and white cinematography, but I didn't like what I saw as an exercise in editing that came of dangerously close to music video aesthetics especially coupled with a 'cool' soundtrack. The ideas presented are interesting, like is there a pattern to everything around us, can a number be a key to universe secrets etc, big themes that weren't explored, just thrown in a pot, undercooked. What could have been even more interesting is the exploration of how constant search of this mathematician (or humans in general) for a pattern, a number, trying to give a meaning to the senseless world can make him a madman or a genius. Now, it's fairly obvious that Aronofsky went for this, but, imo, he didn't really show it. The end result is all flash, very little substance. I felt this film was pretty pointless. Ha...maybe that's the point, but since Aronofsky is very literal (judging by this and Requiem for a Dream), I highly doubt it.

Oldboy

This was pretty good, but not really mindblowing as I expected. The whole twist, a revelation was somewhat contrived when you think about it, bit it's rendered with such intensity that I can overlook it. The premise is very strong, but barely touched beyond surface. But, since this film doesn't pretend to be anything more than basically a revenge flick, I can forgive it and enjoy it for what it is.
when Pi first came out i went and saw it on a whim....i simply thought the name was great....and i have to admit at that time it blew me away....i made everybody i knew go see it....years later it lost a bit of it's luster....but i still think its a worthy movie

glad you enjoyed Oldboy....did you watch the other two in the trilogy yet?

Black Swan

by far one of the best films for this year.....a wonderful juxtaposition of "Repulsion", ballet, early Cronnenberg body horror, and Red Shoe Diary's....not nearly as graphic as i was lead to believe which was good...the sexual tension throughout the film was handled quite well much like in "Belle de Jour"...if Potman does not get some major recognition for this the world is going to hell in a hand basket....just the scene where she calls her mom about the part while in the bathroom stall.....should win her every award on earth for achievement in acting....it had me in tears

and now for something completely different.....

Get Him To The Greek

i love "Forgetting Sarah Marshal" and especial Brand's rock star character....so i went into this with high hopes of a lude, dumb laugh out loud comedy....and that is exactly what i got
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote