Music Banter - View Single Post - Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior (1975)
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Unlike for you guys, this was a new album to me and it took me a few plays to get into it, but, as you know, that`s often a good sign. At first the musicianship sounded almost too good, like a cold display of virtuosity. But then I really started to enjoy the precision and interplay of instruments - it`s like they`re playing some kind of musical volleyball, with the musical focus being effortlessly passed around all the time.

For me too, the title track is the standout ; the change to accoustic and the way the tempo lets up for a while is refreshing. I also liked Corea`s synth workout on the Duel track. I haven`t really worked out why, but the first two tracks felt a little weaker to me.

So this gets a "very good" from me too. Will I be playing it again ? Absolutely - it`s an album that has none of those tracks where you think, "Shall I skip this track or endure it ?" All the way through ,there is plenty of beautiful, intricate playing that holds the attention.

PS . I don`t really pick up any connection at all between the music and the cover. Any ideas ?
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote