Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #8878 (permalink)
dankrsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
glad you enjoyed Oldboy....did you watch the other two in the trilogy yet?
Not yet, but I'm planning to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
Black Swan
if Potman does not get some major recognition for this the world is going to hell in a hand basket....just the scene where she calls her mom about the part while in the bathroom stall.....should win her every award on earth for achievement in acting....it had me in tears
I haven't watched the film yet, but looking a bit at this award season, she has A LOT of buzz and is maybe even a front runner for the Oscar win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I disagree about Aronofsky being literal. I could see where you'd describe Requiem for a Dream as very literal but both Pi and The Fountain are very non-literal IMO and both excellent as well.
I haven't seen The Fountain, so I can't comment on that, but I'll probably see it soon. Actually I've only seen Requiem and Pi, so my impression of Aronofsky as literal comes from these two. It didn't bother me in Requiem, I thought that was pretty effective for showing the horrors of drug addiction. But, here, in Pi everything felt so transparent and fake, the way these big philosophical themes were handled, the decent into madness. So it's quite possible to take such a broad subject that just gives itself for many interpretations and turn it into something very transparent and literal by the way it's handled. I am now very curious to see how he does it in The Fountain. After all, Pi was his first film and it very much feels like a student film lacking in experience on every level.