Music Banter - View Single Post - The Portuguese Music Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Fascinating Turnip
Moper

Let's listen to a bit more GNR then, shall we?

Both these tracks are from their 1984 effort Defeitos Especiais, just like the Absurdina track I posted before.
Even if they're from the same album you can quite distinctly feel a change in sound in I Don't Feel Funky (Anymore). The album has tunes like Absurdina and Piloto Automático, which dabble in the gloomier side of post-punk, and then some poppish quirky tunes like I Don't Feel Funky. Towards the end of the album it gets a bit more traditional, and unfortunately I haven't been able to find any videos of those tunes, which are quite good. I might upload them myself, in which case I'll post them here afterwards.

This I believe is the best representation of how odd and jaunty their songs can be:

Rui Reininho (lead singer) always seems to experiment with preposterous accents when he's singing in english and with adding other languages to the mix. In I Don't Feel Funky he sings with some sort of speech defect before changing swiftly into italian.
In this song he has something that resembles a spanish accent going on, which in all honesty is quite fitting if you listen to the lyrics.

Now, on to their poppier side.
A lot of people might not find this remotely interesting, but I think it's a decent enough song. The lyrics are briliant, but I'm hoping that's not the only appeal the song has. In any case, here you go:

You'll have to atleast agree that the video is quite pleasant to look at.
The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote