Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #369 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
Haha, I get you .
Allright.

To get this back ontopic I'm thinking really hard of an artist I think is overrated.

Hm... I never got the idea of Stevie Wonder. Or Frank Sinatra. That's a good one. Frank Sinatra is heavily overrated to me.

Stevie from the start until 1979-80 was among the most innovative musicians in Soul and Pop, and then after Hotter Than July, in my opinion he was creating far more commercial work. Talking Book, Innervisions, Songs In the Key of Life, and any compilation that focuses on his 60's work are all worth checking out. For all of the great albums and singles he created, I can overlook songs like "I Just Called to Say I Love You," which I had to survive in my last year of High School.

As for the Chairman of the Board, he had a style that was perfect for the time he arrived, and his performance in Man With the Golden Arm is great. Songs for Only the Lonely is one of his finest albums, and Reprise Records was originally an outlet for his own work that turned into one of the greatest labels in the Rock era once it was sold to Warner Brothers in '63. To me, he had a style that is very influential, although of course also over-copied and refried to the point of being seen as over rated. Not everything connected to him is something I care to listen or agree with, but to me he's still a good influence with the early recordings and film roles.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote