Music Banter - View Single Post - Question about Music Ripping - Quality
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
noise
thirsty ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
My friend once ripped an album totally uncompressed by accident, and it was massive, but he said the sound quality was incredible.
placebo. first of all, the quality would be the same as the CD, and would offer the same experience as listening to the original disc through whatever hardware you're playing it with. but more importantly, most human ears can't tell the difference once you get past 192kbps. try a blind test and see (hear) for yourself

also, ripping at 320 is a waste. using constant bitrates is like packaging all food in the same sized box, no matter how much food is actually there. you just end up with a lot of empty space that serves no purpose but to fill up your hard drive. use V0 VBR instead.

though having said all that, i admit to downloading in lossless whenever i can. not for the sound quality though, but because it makes me feel good to be able to fetch a 1:1 copy of the original release...

but yeah, like clutnuckle said, use EAC and re-rip your stuff to a higher bitrate. 128 is a bit too low